Sunday, July 11, 2010

1986 KC Convention promo art

Convention organizers occasionally ask their guests to produce a piece of art to help promote the show. You can see one such piece here and another here.

For the drawing below, I decided to draw Brii from Grimwood's Daughter (in a different outfit) along with Dr. Strange, Moon Knight and an oddball, cartoony character I'd been trying to turn into a series called "Mr. Lizard".

True story: The fellow who bought this original hated the "Mr. Lizard" drawing so much that he painted over it with white out.


7 comments:

  1. Mr. Lizard is great!

    When I create a team starring Dr. Strange, Moon Knight and Brii from GRIMWOOD'S DAUGHTER, he can join right in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mr. Lizard figure is by far my favourite bit. There seems to be a contingent of people who really hate that minimalist, 'ligne claire' type art. Crazy fools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Thanks, Kurt, but I don't think I'll get my hopes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, I'm wondering if that's less true now than it was in the '80's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Lizard is easily my favorite. I would buy a Mr. Lizard comic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we want more Mr, Lizard!

    The gall of someone whiting out an artists original work is appalling, frankly, even if he did pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do like your Mr Lizard character... and wanna see more about him... please. Allways thought that your " ligne claire " art is fantastic. I love your blacks " off course " but your " ligne claire " is truly intriguing me since the 1st time I saw it... ( in A1 British anthology I think.

    ReplyDelete